Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Beast- RIP

So, it happened…the thing that I have been dreading came true. The Beast died. Yep, my ’94 Ford Explorer that leaks about a quart of transmission fluid every week, that guzzles gas and almost lost its bumper in a accident two months ago (not my fault), stopped running. I can’t say that it was unexpected, but it couldn’t have come at a worse time.

As I left the office earlier tonight, I had big plans for my evening. I was going to go home and eat a big bowl of cereal sans milk and reward myself for sticking to my budget by watching a movie on my laptop ( I no longer have cable or a TV). However, when I tried turning the key in my ignition, the Beast made a screeching noise and then refused to start. I’m no mechanic but I could tell that my battery was dead. Now I know this might be a slight violation the rules, but after looking for a jump for about forty-five minutes I called AAA. Unfortunately, the Beast needed more than just a jump, the entire battery had to be replaced.

Someone in poverty probably would not be able to afford my $50 per year AAA membership. It is also unlikely that they would be able to pay to replace the battery in their car without having emergency savings to cover the cost. Because my poverty budget does not include any additional emergency cash beyond my $6.72 daily allowance, I will no longer be driving the Beast. I drove the Beast home (I couldn’t leave him stranded on 5th West) and there he will stay until the remainder of my time in poverty is over ☹

1 comment: