Friday, May 1, 2009

Living in Poverty?

It has been about three weeks since I was first approached to participate in this poverty experiment. Before I start blogging about my experience, I will clarify what this experiment is all about and try to answer several of the questions that I have already been asked.

What are you doing exactly?

For three weeks, I will be living at 100% of the federal poverty level. I am doing this as part of National Community Action Month (May) to raise awareness about the prevalence of poverty in Utah. Many Utahns don't realize that a significant portion of the state's population lives in substandard conditions and faces serious financial hardships. Approximately, 254,385 people in Utah lived at or below the federal poverty level in early 2008. That translates to roughly 9.8% of Utah's population and 11.3% of Utah's children. With growing unemployment and a deepening recession, poverty is becoming a reality for more and more Utahns.

What is poverty?

Like I said, I will be living at 100% of the federal poverty level for three weeks. For a family of one (yep, that's me) to be considered to be in poverty by the federal government you must have a net income equal to or less than $10,830 per year. That equates to $902.50 a month or $624.81 for three weeks. The average hourly wage for a person living at 100% of the poverty level is $5.21 an hour which is well below Utah's current minimum wage of $6.55.

After accounting for all of my fixed expenses (see the budget calculator on my main page), I will have $6.72 a day to pay for my food, personal items, gas and unexpected expenses. Surprisingly, I am not eligible for food stamps.

But you aren't really in poverty.

I realize that I am not actually living in poverty. Unlike many people who do live in poverty, this situation is not permanent for me. I have a good job (although I can't access the money, I am still geting paid for these three weeks), health insurance, support from my friends and family and an education. If I get sick or in an accident in the next three weeks, I will still be able to go to the hospital or to see my doctor. Or when my car breaks down (which I can guarantee that it will) I know that I just have to wait out the remainder of my time and then I can afford to go to the mechanic. If for whatever reason I can't make it on $6.72 a day, I am not going to starve, face eviction or be forced to default on my student loans.

I don't want people to think that after these three weeks I will know what it is like to live with the insecurity, emotional stress and financial instability that is associated with life in poverty. My hope is to better understand the reality faced by so many Utahns and to bring awareness to this very important and serious issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment