Monday, May 18, 2009

Running errands can be difficult without a car. I finally broke down and "borrowed" the Beast back from my parents. I had parked it at their house for the remainder of the poverty project but realized last night that without a car I would not be able to take care of some very urgent errands. For the sake of the poverty experiment I am going to say that I had to borrow a car from either my parents or one of my friends because my car is not working (in reality, it is working because AAA came out and fixed it so I could move it). Although there was a little gas in the tank, I think that any extra gas I have to buy will push my food budget to under $2.00 a day.

One of the errands that I have to run is to go to the University of Utah to argue that I am a resident of Utah, have been for most of life and therefore should not be charged out-of-state tuition for the graduate program that I am starting this summer. I feel that this errand is worthy of borrowing a car because without an adjustment to my tuition, I will not have enough money to start school this summer. If I did not have the option of borrowing a car, I'm not sure how I would be able to afford to get to the University because riding the bus would cost me at least $1.60 each way. Additionally, riding the bus would be very time-consuming and I don't have enough time during my lunch break to catch the bus up to the university, talk to the appropriate people and then catch it back. I think it would be very difficult to try to go to a doctor's appointment, an interview for a better paying job, the DMV or any other place that is only open from 9-5 pm if I did not have a car and only had half an hour or an hour for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment