Monday, May 4, 2009

Lentils, Ramen and Chickpea Patties

Poverty continues...

No, I haven't starved or even resorted to eating only Ramen...yet. My diet primarily consists of cereal, bread, canned soup and Ramen. Unlike Shawn, I don't really cook. I have been amazed by the creative meals that he has been able to whip together so far. On Monday, he came to work with some sort of lentil soup and chickpea patty. Today, he was talking about how to bake bread with only minimal amounts of yeast. I think his preparation has paid off- I have to admit that my food selection is a little bland in comparison.

Saturday night was my friend's graduation party. Unfortunately, he decided not to have the party at his house with a nice spread of freshly prepared, non-Ramen, FREE appetizers. Rather, he decided to go out dancing followed by a late-night dinner at Village Inn. Luckily, I didn't have to pay to go dancing but I sat at dinner drinking my $1.50 hot chocolate (which nearly blew my budget), while my friends enjoyed platefuls of warm, syrupy pancakes and freshly prepared omelets with sausage and bacon. I have to admit I have a new found appreciation for Village Inn and the large selection of food it has to offer (even if it isn't affordable to people in poverty).

I have started counting down the days until I can enjoy such luxuries as milk with my cereal, fresh fruit, chocolate and eating out with my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment